Knightfall - buy it now

Monday 13 January 2014

Character death

So, I've just killed one of the main characters in my Benjamin Knight series.  I didn't know he was going to die, he just sort of did.  There was no way out, and I couldn't save him.

Sorry, spoilers and all that.  Yes it was a he, but I won't be saying who.  If you're like me, it probably wouldn't matter, I'd miss any of them at this point.  After all this time writing about these people, it's hard to let one go, especially when it was so unexpected.  I thought I had an idea about how the scene was going to go, and then it completely threw me.

So much for all my plans.

I keep looking at the chart on my wall and the piles of paper on my desk, and wondering who else I am going to lose before this is done.  I am just about done with chapter 7, which leaves 5 or 6 chapters left to write in New Light (depending on how it finally pans out).  That's a lot of words to get through.  Who else won't make it to the epilogue?

I know what you're thinking - "Shut up, I'm bored already."

No?  Okay, maybe you were thinking - "You're the one writing the story, just change it so he doesn't die!"

I could, but part of me would feel like I'm cheating.  I've established these characters, their motivations and personalities.  I've set up the rules for how the world works.  If I go back and add something now, is that really fair?  As the reader, you have a certain expectation by now, almost 300 thousand words into the story (I am 65k words into New Light).  If I pull a metaphorical rabbit out of the hat, won't you feel cheated too?

I don't know, I think I'm going to sleep on it, and see what tomorrow brings.

Not that I think I'll be getting much sleep....

No comments:

Post a Comment